LymphNotes.com  

Go Back   Lymph Notes Forums > Lymphedema Information > Living With Lymphedema

Living With Lymphedema Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Fatigue Happens, Reiki, Scuba Diving, Stress and Lymphedema, plus Travel Tips. View articles.

Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:16 AM

Lightbulb Cold Weather and Lymphedema

It has been snowing like crazy here in the Philly area, And cold, one night, I could not park near my apt in the snow, no one had plowed. I had to park about 3/4 of a mile away and walk, By the time I got home , my legs were throbbing with pain, and the next day, after the lot was plowed at 3 pm, I had to walk back down to get my car. I have been in more pain than usual, I startd using my pump again and found that it does help the pain. One day, I used it before work, and fell asleep, so I was late for work. I am still concerned about the pump sending lymph into my abdomen and groin, cause it is swollen there. God Bless you all.
Jim
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:31 AM

massage before and after pumping

I have left arm and left leg lymphedema. I find that doing light lymph massage of the limb lymphatics line, helps the fluid move up, out and into my bladder. If you don't need to go to the restroom after finishing using the compression pump, you may want to try more lymphatic massage before and after the pump.

I too have problems with the cold. The cold makes me feel constricted and the nerves get inflamed and painful. I am sorry you too deal with this

Last edited by tearose; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:27 PM

Massage before using the pump

Tearose, I was under the impression that one is supposed to perform massage before starting on the pump; however, I understand some of the newer pump models automatically perform the massage for you.

Jim, having to walk home in all of that snow must have been miserable -- at least you can remember it when it gets hot and sweaty in the summer!

Nice to hear from both of you.

Marguerite
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:40 PM

Lightbulb

Where can I find out how to do MLD, I have tried doing what is described in The LWL book , which is excellent, but I cannot figure it out without help. Boy, do I hurt today.

Best
Jim
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:44 PM
Lymph Notes Team

Hi Jim,

The best way to learn how to do self-mld is to find a lymphedema therapist who will work with you for a series of sessions so you can learn how to do it.

This is rather an unusual request since learning to do MLD is part of early treatment, but you may be able to find someone who is able to help you.

Best wishes,

Ann
Old Feb 20, 2010, 01:02 AM

WHERE?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 03:44 AM
Lymph Notes Team

Looking for help

Go to the Lymph Notes home page and you will find an offer as to where you can get free information by sending an e-mail to me.

Send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to send you this information.

Ann from Lymph Notes
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:12 AM

added help

Yes, the massage is recommended to help us "open" our lymphatic system and get the fluid pumped to go the main areas of drainage leading eventually to the bladder.

I was suggesting that at times, from my experience, the lymph fluids can be more stubborn to move...like toothpaste in a tube, and I then try to be more helpful by taking more care to massage more. The way I do my MLD by the way, is by taking my three fingers (pointer, middle and ring and holding them together and rubbing, forming little letter "c"'s on top of the skin going up the limb. It is a bit of a gentle pressing and upwards pushing. You get the feel for it after awhile. I just know how wonderful I feel if I've gotten as much fluid out as possible. It is a wonderful day when I can "see" my elbow! And I never stop counting my blessings that I can wear the same size shoe on both feet! And only sometimes do I have to upsize my blouse because of my arm. Only those with lymphedema can see the simple joy in these things!
Thanks for letting share!
tearose
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:55 AM

Lightbulb

I have been very sick with bronchitis this week. Have not been working or doing much, still feel lousy, but you know what. After not being on my feet alot, the swelling has totally gone away. My legs have totally stopped hurting. Tommorow, back to work. So nice to have a break from lymphedema,
Best

Jim
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:28 PM

You need to get massage before pumping and hope you would agree with others as well as with me too. Because it is a sensitive issue and take care of it.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 05:54 AM

It is very important to open up the lymphchannels before using the pump, making sure the fluid have somewhere to go. Not "clearing a path" for the fluid can not only be useless but in worst case cause Lymphedema in the private parts and lower belly, so do make sure to do it. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to open up around the neck, armpits and belly.

The videos on this site does a good job showing and explaning MLD.
Also, you can get a DVD here.
Check out Youtube as well, there are constantly new videos being published.
I hope this was helpful.

My blog about living with Lymphedema: LymphedemaGirl